We offer a range of mentorship services for photographers at all stages in their career. Applicants should be serious, professional photographers with at least one established body of work; we reserve the right to decline applicants who do not meet these criteria or who we do not feel would benefit from our services. Please see below for the current options available and feel free to get in touch with any related queries.
PORTFOLIO REVIEWS & CONSULTATIONS:
SINGLE & PACKAGE SESSIONS
Professional photographers at any level are welcome to apply for a nineteensixtyeight consultation, though we reserve the right to decline applicants if we do not feel that our services will benefit them.
Consultations are purchased as individual sessions, which can be conducted over Skype, as written reviews, or in person on the occasion of certain special events (for example, presence at a photo fair; see News for any upcoming nineteensixtyeight events).
Based on an photographer’s particular needs, he or she will be assigned to individual sessions with one of nineteensixtyeight’s co-founders, Isabella Brancolini or Elizabeth Breiner.
What type of mentorship sessions do we offer?
We offer three different types of mentorship sessions.
Single session portfolio reviews may include:
- Help in the cultivation and presentation of a more cohesive body of work
- Advice on conceptual oversight and direction for in-progress projects
- Feedback on cultivating an artistic identity across different bodies and types of work
- Advice regarding online presentation and promotion (social media, website, etc.)
Duration: 1 hour
Editing sessions can consist in:
- General cultivation of a stronger and/or tighter edit for a particular project
- Feedback on sequencing of a particular set of images
- Preliminary cultivation of an edit for a particular purpose (e.g., a festival, a grant)
- Feedback on and assistance with the cultivation of texts to accompany work
Duration: 1 hour
Market-focused consultations are a tailored, specialized assessment that can include:
- Market assessment (discussion of prices, editioning, positioning and representation)
- Market overview (understanding of art market and different on and offline marketplaces, art fairs, festivals, galleries, etc.)
- In-depth feedback on the cultivation and presentation of an artistic identity, balancing commercial and artistic work
Duration: 90 minutes
When getting in touch to request a consultation or set of sessions, you will be prompted specify which specific service(s) you require, in addition to providing a link to the body or bodies of work in question and an up-to-date personal bio.
All consultation sessions must be purchased in advance. We will aim to get back to applicants within 48 hours to confirm or follow up with any questions we might have. Artists will be invoiced via PayPal once accepted, and once payment has been received we will get in touch with potential dates. Should we not be able to find a suitable time for both parties within three months’ time, the applicant may request a refund.
Once a session has been booked, participants can cancel for a 50% refund (or can rebook if notice is given more than 1 week prior to the scheduled session).
REPRESENTATION ON NINETEENSIXTYEIGHT
Representation on nineteensixtyeight is application-only. We will only accept those artists we feel have a body of work that is at a certain stage of completion.
This scheme is ongoing, and may be implemented over the course of several months to a year.
When applying, please include a full CV, a link to the body or bodies of work in question, and any relevant texts and press. If possible, please be as precise as possible about the services you require, any ongoing initiatives you might be involved in, and any representation you currently have or have had previously.
For those applicants that are accepted, there will be a flat fee for joining the platform. We will supply a comprehensive rundown of the services to which you will be entitled as a represented artist, and you can choose at this time whether or not you wish to proceed.